So I've been thinking a lot lately about healthy living. Not only did I make it a
goal to be a vegetarian 4 days a week in June, but I'd also like to clean up my eating in general. I'd say my diet is decent at the mo (
that's short for "moment", says my Irish friend), but my body is my temple, right?! So I should take this seriously every month, not just for the next two weeks.
One of my more obscure interests is watching food documentaries. While most people in their right mind, are frightened and grossed out by them, I really enjoy watching these films. Well, I don't actually
enjoy seeing how vile the food industry is, it's more that I find it extremely interesting. Docu's such as
Farmageddon, Food Inc, and
Vegucated, have taught me a lot about how the food I ingest was treated and the consequences of a modern diet. Somehow, I'm still an omnivore. Frankly, I'm shocked that I can eat anything at all after learning what the FDA thinks is standard living for cows and chickens. But I won't preach, I suggest you educate and make decisions for yourself. I currently continue to eat meat, I am far from perfect. Even if I become 100% vegetarian, I will not force it on, say, my boyfriend, who I will still grill up steaks for next to my black bean burgers (yum!).
 |
| Cleansing breakfast |
In order to jump start my healthy bod, I've been considering a juice cleanse. You know one of those things where you pay $100 for a day worth of bottled juice or waters? Before investing in a program, I decided to test myself for an 8 hour work day. Yesterday, I only ate fruit, veggies, and nuts at work. I figured it could be a mini-cleanse and a test of my will power. Here's my unedited diary from the day:
By the time the clock struck 5:30, I was running out of there drooling. Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic. It was not actually that hard. Plus, depriving myself of my usual indulgence made everything taste that much better today! I certainly don't think one eight hour stretch of fruits and veggies is going to rid me of all my dirty toxins (looking at you,
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy). But I am proud of my little show of will power. It also helps to tell people what you're up to if on a cleanse or turning to vegetarianism. That way, you not only hold yourself accountable, but your friends and co-workers do too!
 |
| Snack time! |
|
If I ever get around to an actual cleanse, I will certainly report all about it. For now, I'm happy to be making steps to a cleaner diet and a healthier me!
Captain Planet, he's my hero!
(sorry, I just had to go there)
Juice cleanse... something tells me that wouldn't agree with me in a certain way... but I say "You Go Girl!" if you can pull it off! PS. I hope you take pollution down to zero.
ReplyDeleteI'm certainly trying to reduce my footprint ;)
DeleteROTFL!! Captain Planet! That's hilarious.
ReplyDeleteBut in all seriousness, the documentary "Food, Inc." was scary but so enlightening. I don't look at chicken the same way.
I've been thinking of doing a cleanse myself but never have enough courage to go through with it. I'm hoping that visiting the Waltham Farmer's Marketing on Saturday will give me the courage I need.
Kelby
http://peachypains.com
Kelby! We might do a juice cleanse at work which will be great inspiration. I will let you know which one we do! I love Farmers Markets
Deletevery healthy approach to things. I find is especially hard to make healthy choices now with baby on board. When I get hungry, get HUNGRY and all my good intentions fly out the window. Becky, from Pop and Circumstance just did a new juice cleanse and posted about it- looks pretty doable since you were allowed to eat. She had a giveaway too, but I think it ended today- might be worth a look!
ReplyDeleteThanks Noelani! I will check out her cleanse, every new bit of info helps! (I'm sure when I have a baby I will eat chocolate covered pickles all day long hehe)
Delete