I grew up skiing with my family, beginning at age four being towed and taught by my father. It is not a sport I ever took a liking too. Year after year, we packed an enormous amount of puffy clothing and heavy gear into the car and traveled north. Ski trips always fell on my birthday too, aka 'winter break' from grade school. I would cry that my toes were cold, my nose was too runny, and my friends were faster than me. As expected with an attitude like that, I slowly gave up skiing to my mother's dismay as she loved to foreshadow that one day I would meet a skier boy and regret quitting.
Mother is
One of the first awkward getting-to-know-you conversations the engineer and I shared was about ski boots, and how disappointing the winter was turning out. I think I started mentally gathering my gloves, helmet, goggles, and snow pants right then. Realizing how much he loves it made me conjure up some happy memories on the slopes. It had always been more about the people I was with than anything else, I had just been too young to really notice.
Heading in to this winter season, I knew I would enjoy myself if I relaxed and focused on who I was with more so than what we were doing. Turns out, I do like to ski. Whodathunkit! Despite complaining about a cold wet nose, I have happily swooshed down the mountain three days so far. I have a great teacher to remind me of the 16 years of lessons from my Dad, and he's glad to let me take a Bailey's break when I need one. The cherry on top... I'm a better skier than expected. Ski culture has always enticed me, and snowy mountain towns are so fun to visit. It's panning out to be a wonderful season.
Another 2013 resolution... to be a ski brah on the slopes, rather than a ski bunny in the lodge. Although, I won't hesitate to quit one run early to beat my friends to the bar. Après–ski, everyone?
| Check me out! |
I'm rocking: Tecnica Fling ski boots, Patagonia snow pants, Atomic Affinity ETM skis
No comments:
Post a Comment
I really appreciate hearing from my readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Peace, love, and milkshakes xo